Flight Test Engineer
December 6, 2018
Build the next generation of unmanned aircraft. Aerovel Corporation is seeking an adventurous engineer or A&P mechanic to join our team as a Flight Test Engineer helping to test and develop the next generation of miniature robotic aircraft. This dynamic position requires someone interested in working in a small team environment with a dynamic pace to test, fly, and train Flexrotor unmanned aircraft operation. The prospective candidate will be a self-starter with a demonstrated record of hands on engineering, curiosity, and development.
Aerovel Corporation, led by Dr. Tad McGeer, has developed Flexrotor, a vertical takeoff and landing, unmanned aerial system from our base in Washington State’s Columbia Gorge. We are small, focused, and experienced; staffed by veterans who developed the Aerosonde and ScanEagle aircraft series.
- A flight test engineer (FTE) has intimate knowledge of the aircraft design and operation, including becoming an expert aircraft operator who can perform the testing. An experienced FTE has deep knowledge of operation, installation, maintenance, software, programming, and the systems integration of the UAS. The FTE understands and can execute flight testing and can clearly document the testing and communicate the data in a scientific presentation. The FTE may also design, build, prepare test articles, run tests, instrument aircraft, etc.
- Engineer, analyze, and test complex systems
- Paying attention to details
- Excellent mechanical and technical problem solving skills
- Evaluate problems then develop and test solutions with a hands on approach
- Build and assemble working prototypes with proficient use of machine and shop tools
- Candidate must possess strong organizational skills and
- Be a self starter able to work independently from broad goals rather than specific tasks
- Highly motivated individual with strong communication, interpersonal, and problem solving skills
- Hands on, common sense, analytical thinker
- Able to interact professionally with internal and external customers, subcontractors, and suppliers
- Able to carry up to 55 lbs and happy to work in the outdoors on occasion
Qualifications & Experience
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aviation Technology, or similar accredited degree program, or 3+ years aircraft mechanic experience, or 3+ years of unmanned vehicle experience
- Mechatronics/robotics/control system experience
- Small engine maintenance experience
- Experience training and working with customers and engineers
- Familiarity with troubleshooting electronics, radios, and ethernet
Aerovel is committed to a diverse workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer we provide equal opportunity to all persons, regardless of race, religion, age, gender, disability, status as a protected veteran, national origin, color, or any other classification in accordance with federal, state, and local statutes, regulations and ordinances. Veterans are encouraged to self-identify as Aerovel desires to provide protected veterans priority referrals for open positions. Aerovel complies with all laws and regulations associated with the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).